Monday 29 December 2014

Edamame so quick to cook

I have heard about Edamame but living in the country and the restaurants we enjoy here and also when away I have never seen it on a menu.
My hubby asked me "what on earth are you growing in this patch of ground?"
I replied "soy beans so I can try Edamame"  which has been popular during the last year.
An old Masterchef contestant, Courtney Roulston was preparing a salad during a recent in-house cooking demonstration in our local hardware store and she had a bag of frozen edamame beans.   Courtney said "You can't buy them  here, but you can get them in Asian grocery stores".  
Yes, this adds to the frustration of shopping in a rural area.


Here is the pretty soy bean plant, with the young pods proudly hanging in groups.

Each soy bean pod was roughly 5cm in length.
I picked them from the plant, rinsed them in a colander.
Bringing water to a rolling boil in a saucepan, I added 1 teaspoon salt.
Then dropped the beans in all at once, put on the lid, turned heat to medium low and
immediately put the timer on for 5 minutes.


After 5 minutes I turned off the heat, and poured the edamame into a colander
and refreshed them by running cold water over the top.



Then I poured them into a pretty bowl and sprinkled them with plenty of freshly ground sea salt.


You eat them by popping the peas out of the pod directly into your mouth.
They have a unique taste, similar to a pea but with more flavour.
It is a satisfying action and very enjoyable.

Will I grow them again?  Definitey as now I know what all of the fuss is about and
I did enjoy these fresh, wholesome Edamame.

Buon appetito, enjoy Merryn xx

10 comments:

  1. I've often thought about growing these but I figured it was easier to buy them frozen. Now I'd love to watch those babies grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun watching the plants grow and the small pods emerging. Next time I will give them a fertilise after the first flowering to promote more buds.

      Delete
  2. Well you are a get up and go kinda girl aren't you. you couldn't get them so you grew them . i am impressed with your abilities and patience! nothing can stop you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania, yes you just have to do it yourself in the country when there is nowhere to shop for specific goods.

      Delete
  3. Oh, you have inspired me to give them a go Merryn - thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely Rachel they don't need much space in which to grow.

      Delete
  4. It must be such a treat to get fresh edamame! Most of the ones that we get are frozen from overseas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know the frozen ones were imported as I am yet to see a packet. Fresh is always best.

      Delete
  5. Merryn, kudos to you for growing your own soy. I think it makes yhe experience of eating your edamame more satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I guess it does improve the experience but having never tried the frozen option, I can only imagine the difference :D

      Delete