Sunday 26 May 2019

Cannellini Beans with Spinach and Garlic

We recently had a day trip to the beautiful Port Macquarie in mid New South Wales.    It is a lovely coastal area, with delightful beaches, plenty of sunshine and diverse shopping.  They have the biggest vegetable seedling selection I have seen around here at one department store, so needless to say I collected quite a few punnets to bring home to plant some more delicious vegetables in the garden.


We also went to another shop to pick up some supplies but as our time was limited and we had so much to do, I didn't query the total of these goods, although I thought it was a bit pricey at the time.  After dinner that evening hubby unpacked our purchases and as I folded up the plastic bags I reached for the receipt to keep for warranty and realised that I had been overcharged $50!  I normally check before paying for anything but this was a reputable store and one we have dealt with many times so I had no reason to doubt them.
The next morning I phoned the store and explained that we were overcharged on this item and the owner didn't blink an eyelid but replied "oh is that what it scanned at"?   Causing me to think she realised it was an overcharge at the time, but nonetheless she immediately agreed to a refund but I said that I don't go to Port Macquarie very often and then she offered a gift card for that amount and suggested I pick it up when next in town.  I suggested that she post it to me for the cost of one dollar, so my gift card is on its way.  It makes me sad that people in some stores do overcharge and people, particularly the elderly or those from non English speaking backgrounds are the ones most likely to be taken advantage of  by careless business owners.

Dinner this night was a a selection of seafood, lightly floured and deep fried (fritto misto) accompanied by a healthy garden salad and a side dish of Canellini Beans with Spinach and Garlic.

This is a delicious, healthy and tasty side dish to accompany most meals.  Or have it alone with some crusty bread, or tossed through cooked pasta with a little pasta cooking water and a generous grating of Parmesan cheese.  I must thank my Mother in Law for sharing this recipe, many years ago, it is a staple dish and one which is always welcome on our table.

Sizzling Garlic
Until recently we had to soak the dried beans for at least 4 hours.  Now you can buy canned, cooked beans and just need to rinse them before using in various recipes. 
Hint# You can quick soak them by bringing the dried, rinsed beans to a boil for 2 mins.  Turn off heat, leave lid on and let sit for 1 hour.  After the hour, rinse and refresh water, bring back to a boil and boil for the required time, approx 40 mins for cannellini beans before draining and using in recipes.  Dried, soaked and cooked taste better than canned varieties, but in these busy days, beans are beans.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cannellini Beans with Spinach and Garlic

1 x 400g tin cooked cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (or butter or northern beans instead)
2 cloves chopped garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 bunch fresh spinach, rinsed and roughly chopped
1/4 cup water
salt and pepper
parsley chopped, to garnish
1 dried red chilli, chopped, as a garnish (optional)

Heat up a small non stick frypan and add about 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, add the garlic and stir until the garlic is just turning brown.
Add the spinach and combine, then add the tin of drained and rinsed beans.  Toss together and add more olive oil and a little water (about 4 tablespoons water), salt and pepper to taste.
Cook for about 10 minutes in total, until the beans have slightly softened and the water has evaporated.
Serve, with chopped parsley for garnish and/or chopped dried chilli with extra olive oil if so desired.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you cheat with tinned beans too to cut down on your preparation time?

Buon appetito, enjoy Merryn xx

9 comments:

  1. Overcharged for $50!! O my...Good that you at least got the refund! The cannellini beans with garlic spinach makes a perfect meatless Monday meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks🙄☺😂Angie, yes Inwould have fought for the refund if need be, but like you, I am happy with a meatless Monday healthy recipe x.

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a good, classic way to use white beans!

    Interesting that you perceive canned beans to be a new product. Heinz was canning beans well before the end of the 19th century, and a wide variety of canned beans have been available for much of the 20th and 21st centuries. The quality has been roughly the same for decades.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I just never noticed canned beans until the last ten or so years or simply that with our family's Italian origin one had to soak and cook dried beans. Interestingly I have never liked canned 'baked beans' but love my own version of cooked ones. Thanks Mae, I will have to read Heinz' story :D

      Delete
  3. I wonder how many people get overcharged there? Also a gift card isn't ideal really if you don't shop there often. She should have really refunded you onto your credit card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lorraine, I know her actions were just rude. This shop is one in a chain so I can use the gift card at other locations, otherwise I would have said no to the idea and insisted on a refund, or even a posted cheque for that amount.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a HUGE overcharge! Glad you got that resolved -- $50 is a LOT. Anyway, great dish -- we often cook something really similar. I sometimes like to add sliced up cherry tomatoes at the end -- make a nice addition. Good stuff -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adding tomato is a great idea, thanks I will try this idea John :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh yes i have been using canned beans for many a year. you can buy some good quality italian ones!

    ReplyDelete