Thursday 20 February 2020

Battered Onion Rings

After arriving at work this morning I opened the store then dutifully turned on the Nespresso machine for my morning's burst of delicious caffeine.  The red and yellow bins needed bringing in from the kerbside so I wheeled them to the rear whilst the coffee machine warmed up.
I self consicously touched my ears to make sure my earrings were in place to discover the right one was missing! 
Only another earring loving person could understand my dilemma ...


These earrings have been with me for over 15 years so I retraced my steps, walking upstairs to the fridge, then out to the car and finally started inspecting the grass where the bins had recently been resting but all to no avail.

A  sweet man walked by and asked me what I was looking for then he started looking closely at the grass as well, understanding my loss.   We had an impromptu conversation but after 15 minutes no earring came to light and I thanked him profusely before he continued walking into his day.



I can only hope that the missing earring is still inside my house and will find out later if this is right.
Situations like these lead to the need for comfort food.
Such as homely, classic battered onion rings.

Forget the air fryer, just go straight to the deep fryer for a burst of delicous batter and oil with the added goodness of onion.
You will instantly feel better when you snack on this feel good food.  You can think about calories later, after you have relocated 👀 your earring.
P.S. Hubby found my earring on the bedroom floor when he arrived home 👍
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Battered Onion Rings


1 large white onion
Vegetable oil for deep frying
Batter:
200g self raising flour
1 teaspoon bicarb soda (baking soda)
1 dessertspoon white vinegar
350ml water

Place the flour and sieved bicarb soda into a bowl.
Add 200ml water to the middle and whisk until incorporated then add the extra 150ml water and keep mixing until smooth.  You may add a little more water if you like a thinner batter.
Then stir in the vinegar, cover and rest in the refrigerator for at least one hour.

Meanwhile peel and slice the onion into 4 -5mm round slices.
Heat up your oil to approx 180C and dip about 8 rings into the batter, removing each one and placing into the hot oil.

Deep fry for approximately 2 minutes in total, turning halfway.
Drain on absorbent paper and sprinkle with salt before serving.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What is your favourite comforting food?
Buon appetito, enjoy Merryn xx


11 comments:

  1. They look so crispy and good :-) Hope that your earring turn up later and don't think about the calories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Angie, yes the earring was luckily found at home. The calories don't count if the food is deep fried :D

      Delete
  2. I just read a review of a fairly new movie all about onion rings -- it's called The RIngmaster.

    Rings taste good to me but one is usually all I really can eat, and I never deep fry anything at home. Your recipe looks good!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. A movie about onion rings, that is creative. The Ringmaster is a very clever name I will have to keep an eye out for this one. We are tyring to get away from deep frying with an air fryer but some things are just better cooked the traditional way. You must be a healthy foodie :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I lose earrings a lot and they're often really nice ones. I wish someone would come up with a design where you can't lose them! I hope yours turns up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you yes they were safely at home on the bedroom floor. We need a whistle to sound when one pops out of our ears ... along with a whistle for your mobile phone location .... and your car keys.

      Delete
  5. Love onion rings, but haven't made them at home in ages -- that frying thing, you know. I LIKE to deep fry, it's just that I don't like to clean up afterwards. :-) But onion rings would be totally worth the cleanup! Thanks for the recipe. And glad you found your earring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know all about the clean up part. Now I throw the used oil in the garden and use lots of hot soapy water. Yes, I was so happy to find the missing earring, thanks for your comment :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad the earring was found. And how sweet of that stranger to stop and help you look!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Tandy it was a very lucky ending and it definitely reminds you of how lovely most people usually can be ...

    ReplyDelete