Monday 28 October 2019

Grilled Quail with Pomegranate Molasses

I still remember the very first time that I was offered quail to eat .... they were braised in a tomato sauce and so tender and juicy.  I prefer to make a bird like these ones to be the star of the dish.

Of course, like many others I declared 'it's cruel to eat such tiny birds.'   My in-laws however convinced to my try them as they assured me that the birds were fully grown and at first bite, I fell in love with this tender yet delicate bird.    It has been a life long food passion ever since then.

On another occasion I was convinced to try Squab also simmered in a tomato sauce but these just didn't appeal to me the way the cute little quail did, so when I spy quail in a supermarket, they get popped into my grocery bag and head for home to become a gourmet delight.

They are wasted on our family who tolerate quail but would prefer chicken or duck so we eat them on the nights we are dining alone.


This last week has seen some bad bush fires nearby.  Our local and volunteer firefighters are to be commended, they fight so hard to preserve homes, people and bush land (not necessarily in that order) and work tirelessly heading into a fire while we stay protected at home. I want to commend all of our firefighters, rural fire service and special emergency services who work so diligently to protect our homes.   Thank you.

A telegraph pole caught alight on Saturday afternoon and we lost power at 4pm.
Luckily the power came back on at 5.30pm so oven grilled was to be the quails cooking method.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Grilled Quail with Pomegranate Molasses

6 quail, cut down the back bone to butterfly
1/3 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup fine salt and 250ml boiling water
750ml room temperate water
2 bay leaves (fresh if possible)
6 peppercorns


salt, pepper
3 cloves crushed fresh garlic
Pomegranate molasses
olive oil for greasing

Firstly pour the boiling water over the sugar and salt in a large bowl.  Stir to dissolve.
Add the remaining water to cool the liquid down.
Add the bay leaves and peppercorns and leave to marinade in the brine for at least 1 hour, up to 4 hours if possible stored in the refrigerator.

Heat your grill to 180C
Grease a baking tray with olive oil.
Press the quail down firmly to flatten them on the tray, with the breast facing up.
Sprinkle each quail with about 1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic, salt, pepper and a drizzle of pomegrante molasses (about 1 dessertspoon per bird).  Spray with olive oil spray or brush lightly with olive oil.
Place under grill for approximately 10 minutes, rotating tray half way through.  
Check they are cooked to your liking and rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Add your bottle of pomegranate molasses to the table in case you would like to drizzle with more molasses.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have you ever eaten quail, and do you enjoy them?
Buon appetito, enjoy Merryn xx



9 comments:

  1. It must have been a couple of decades when I last tasted some quails! This looks incredibly delicious. I need to look out for one or two to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently ate quail in a restaurant -- it was stuffed with duxelles (mushrooms) and with a fruit-forward sauce. Pomegranate molasses sounds like a very good idea, though I have no idea if they are sold here in stores. No game is allowed for commerce in the US, so they have to be farm-raised.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, delicious! I haven't had quail in a long time and need to find where to purchase it around here. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got to try this. A former friend made something similar. It smelt great but she didn't add any salt or seasoning and it was quite bland. I like the sound of your version much better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat recipe. I like quail, and never had it in tomato sauce -- sounds interesting. Although this looks MORE interesting -- terrific recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious and sounds very fancy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great, I've not tried cooking quail myself at home before so maybe I should give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this sounds delicious merryn. i do love pomegranate molasses. mm that reminds me i have a bottle of home-made in my fridge... i first tried quail at a greek restaurant, and it was so dried-out and awful that i've never tried one again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds fantastic! I've never made quail at home. Maybe I should try.

    ReplyDelete