Sunday 13 October 2019

Steamed Bao Buns with Peking Duck, Hoisin Sauce, Spring Onion and Cucumber


I told hubby this morning that last night 'I had a Dream'.

He asked me if I thought I was Martin Luther King.



This dream involved huge waves coming over nearby Burgess Beach all along the nearby cliffs, waves that just keep surging forward and everyone was trying to get to higher ground.
I was running to my parents house hoping to get them out in time, running with many others up the hill, then I woke up and it took me a long time to get back to sleep.   Luckily today is bright and sunny with a low swell, no huge surf in sight.

On a brighter note, we had chicken and leek individual pies recently and I commented that it is very English to have mushy peas and chips with your pies.  No. 2 son remarked 'I thought rain was very English to have with your pies', which is just classic, they do make you smile with these random comments.

We had a lovely Yum Cha dinner recently and these lovely light bao buns with Peking duck slices, curly spring onions, cucumber slices and hoisin sauce were on the menu. 
I just had to recreate them at home and they were a huge success.

I borrowed this recipe from Thermobliss and you can get the Thermomix instructions here.
I halved this bao bun recipe as there were only two of us eating and I cooked premarinated Luv-A-Duck peking flavoured duck breasts in a frying pan.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Steamed Bao Buns

  • 250 g warm water
  • 60 g sugar
  • 2 tsp dry yeast
  • 520 g plain flour
  • 60 g olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tsps salt
  • 1 tbs baking powder
  • 500 g extra water
  • Peking duck slices, either prepurchased or marinate and cook your duck breasts before slicing
  • Sliced spring onion
  • Sliced Cucumbers
  • Hoisin sauce to serve
  1. To make the bun dough, place the water, sugar and yeast to activate. Allow to rest for 5 minutes or until the mixture has turned frothy. 
  2. Add the plain flour, olive oil, salt and baking powder into the  bowl and lightly mix to combine.
  3. Knead for 5 minutes until the mixture is smooth.
  4. Place the dough into a greased large bowl and set aside in a warm dry place to rise for 45 minutes. 
  5. Rip a piece of baking paper into strips and place over the 2 layers of the steaming trays (leaving gaps in between to allow the steam to escape). 
  6. Knead the dough on an oiled bench or board. Divide the dough into approximately 15 - 18 small pieces. Roll into balls and flatten down into a circle/oval shape. 
    Place small pieces of baking paper onto half of each flattened oval and fold over (so that the baking paper is in between. 
  7. Place the bao buns onto the lined steaming tray/s.
  8. Half Fill the steamer or steaming appliance with  hot water and place the buns on top, with a lid over top.  Allow to steam for approximately 30 minutes.
  9. Take the buns out (they will be quite wet and sticky) and serve immediately with the sliced duck, 2 pieces each of cucumber and spring onion and a spoonful of  hoisin sauce. 
  10. Sit back and take the praise of your guests.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Do you have realistic scary dreams like this one?
Do you always wake up before anything bad happens?

Buon appetito, enjoy Merryn


11 comments:

  1. wow What a feast! I miss the golden crisp and succulent Peking Duck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peking duck is one of my very favourite foods Angie, I love their crisy skin too 🙂

      Delete
  2. Bao buns are good. Never made them myself -- should probably try them sometime. And it's been years since I've had Peking Duck! Now you have me craving all sorts of stuff. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to love a fresh bao bun and they are so easy to make :D

      Delete
  3. These are such crowd pleasers! Dreams are often very telling for me. I love having vivid dreams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vivid dreams can be exciting or scary, but both are SO real!

      Delete
  4. At least two of the best restaurants in our town have a version of bao buns, usually with pork belly, but also with tempura shrimp, tofu, or chicken. Duck would be a great variation!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These combinations all sound wonderful in a bao bun, you have given me some great ideas.

      Delete
  5. Homemade bao buns are so fresh and tender, you should try them sometime, thanks for your comment John.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have wanted to make my own Bao buns since seeing Jamie Oliver do it. These look sensational.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this so much!! In Hong Kong, Peking duck was always the dish that we absolutely had to order, and I always loved munching on the steamed buns with some sauce. This looks phenomenal and reminds me of those great memories!

    ReplyDelete