Friday 30 January 2015

Elderflower Syrup



I am lucky to have Elder Flower shrubs.  Well I am only lucky to have two because I chose to buy them.
One is in the ground and is 1m high while the other is confined to a pot at 40cm high but still producing fragrant and pretty Elder Flower heads continually over summer.
Elder flowers are good for  inflammation, they are anti viral and also good for cold/flu symptoms, sore ears, nose and throat.


Now that summer holidays have passed and I am back to work I am always planning projects in the quieter moments of my day.  These include making use of the wonderful produce growing in our garden or planning the evening dinner, anything that does not involve paperwork.

With this gorgeous Elder Flower Syrup you can flavour water, tea, lemonade, kombucha, jellies or vodka.    1 part Elder Flower Syrup to 3 parts of lemonade.  Just 2 tablespoons in a cup of tea.
Anything that needs a little added intensity of flavour will benefit with the addition of  Elder Flower Syrup.




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Elder Flower Syrup

1 organic lemon
4 heads Elder Flowers
1 cup water
1 cup sugar

In a small saucepan bring the water to boil, then add the sugar and stir until dissolved.
Wash and slice the lemon, add to the hot water/sugar mixture.
Crumble the unwashed elder flowers over the top, brushing them off the stem so only the flower is added.
Cover with muslin or cheesecloth and let sit at room temperature for two days.
Strain into a jug and refrigerate or freeze until needed.



Buon appetito, enjoy Merryn xx

18 comments:

  1. Oh, lovely Merryn - must see how they would grow here in Hawke's Bay - would be lovely to include in our new garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel they are so pretty and fragrant, I hope they will grow well for you :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are lucky. I only realized when we got back from Wales that we walked every day past so many of these flowers. I love elderflower drinks and would have brought some home with me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do seem to be an English tradition. I am sure you could grow a bush well in your locality too Tandy 8)

      Delete
  4. I haven't tried elderflower in a drink before, this syrup looks so fragrant :)

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  5. They have a really unique flavour and aroma, quite delicious with a hint of lemon 8)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, this looks really cool! I'll have to try this sometime!
    Melanie @ meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melanie, it is amazing how you can make something so tasty with so few ingredients :)

      Delete
  7. Elderflowers are so gorgeous! Their fragrance is so different to other flowers too. You are one lucky lady :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Lorraine, elderflowers do have an original flavour and fragrance. They are such pretty trees :D

      Delete
  8. So neat how you turned elderflowers into a syrup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I was so happy that the shrubs grew well here and that they flower for such a long period :)

      Delete
  9. sounds refreshing and delicious, grat job!!!
    Dedy@Dentist Chef

    ReplyDelete
  10. How lucky to have your own elderflower shrubs! Never had this syrup -- looks really interesting, and I'll bet the flavor is amazing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes John, the eldflower shrubs are a bonus and definitely unique in flavour :)

      Delete
  11. Wow!! I see elderflower talked about alot on UK cooking shows (especially my fav Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall :)) . This sounds delicious.

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are lucky with elder flower shrub and I bet the syrup is delicious. I love your name; very pretty, Merryn and that you're a beekeeper! I like your blog too! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete