Friday 1 May 2015

Honey Syrup Cake

Most of you know that I keep bees.  Hubby and I share this fascinating hobby.
Our honey is delightfully fresh and flavour some.
It could be classified as organic due to our stringent conditions and that the inside of the bee hives are coated with beeswax rather than painted.  As well as using no chemicals and the absence of nearby farms.  I will look into certification after Winter when the bees are less active.



I recently asked a few friends what we should call our honey and I laughed at the answers.
You see, over time I have had quite a few stings to my head resulting in a swollen face or head.  Sometimes it is my hand that becomes enlarged and of course all of my friends tell me to take care.
Here are some of their responses to naming our honey business;


Anyway, here is an amazing honey cake recipe courtesy of Guy Grossi from "Love Italy" which will become one of your favourite recipes as well after you make it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Honey Syrup Cake
Torta di Miele

3/4 cup (180ml) olive oil
1 1/2 cups (330g) caster sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup (140g) natural yoghurt
1/2 cup (180g) honey
2 cups (300g) self raising flour, sifted   (N.B. I add 2 extra teaspoons sifted baking powder)

Honey Syrup
25g unsalted butter
3 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons water

Preheat the oven to 170˚C.  Grease and flour a 25cm spring form cake tin.
Whisk together the olive oil and sugar in an electric mixer.  Add the eggs and whisk for about 5 minutes, until the mixture is creamy, then whisk in the yoghurt and honey.
Fold in the sifted flour by and until just combined, be careful not to over mix otherwise the cooked cake will be heavy.
Spoon the cake batter into the tin and bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in to the centre comes out clean.
Remove the cake from the oven and place on  wire rack.  Leave to cook in the tin for 10 minutes.
For the honey syrup, place all the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to the boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.  Leave to cool for 5 minutes.
Make holes all over the top of the cake using a wooden skewer then brush over the honey syrup. Serve at room temperature.


Doesn't this cake sound good for you?  It keeps for about 3 days in an airtight container at room temperature.
Buon appetito, enjoy Merryn xx


2 comments:

  1. How absolutely amazing . you have honey and so many other things. What a wonderful life you have! Love this recipe . I am on a bit of a honey thing at the moment too. I work at a company where we import Italian honey. The honey maker/ bee keeper travels the forests of Italy by season, harvesting the honey from different areas. It is past it's Best before and I have a lot to use! I am sure your honey is perfection

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania I have no doubt your imported honey is delightful too. Italian communities have some distinctive bee varieties. I love the flavour and goodness of honey and make sure to eat a tablespoon per day. You probably know too that honey really does not need a use by date as if harvested properly, it will last supposedly forever.

      Delete