Sunday 15 December 2019

A Christmas Breakfast - Eggs fried over top of grated cheese with herbs and chilli


A conversation with a friend the other day reminded me of a time when I was aged 9 and kept reading about kids getting their potty mouths washed out with soap in different novels.  We were a gentle non swearing family and I always wondered what it felt like getting your mouth washed out with soap because you were swearing and using foul language.  
One day I actually tried to wash out my own mouth with soap at the outside tap to see what it was like.  Needless to say it was vile!  After a little spit I kept rinsing and rinsing my mouth to get rid of the frothy taste and it actually took until the next day before my mouth returned to normal.  Everything tasted like soap.

Perhaps a simple but delightful dish like this one may have cured my soap filled mouth and taste buds.

I do not know where I found this incredibly easy Fried Egg dish but it is certainly tasty and filling.
You simply grate a little mozzarella cheese into a non stick pan, (don't worry about greasing the pan,) sprinkle with a little fresh herb such as oregano or parsley and crack two eggs on top.  As they start sizzling sprinkle a little chopped chilli, salt and pepper on top whilst you toast your bread.


Delicious and special enough for serving up quickly on Christmas morning before you start to cook the Christmas lunch.

Try not to totally cover the cheese with the egg, you should leave a little crispy edge along the side.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tell me, did you ever have your mouth washed out with soap in your younger years?

Buon appetito, enjoy Merryn xx

9 comments:

  1. I love egg dishes like this. And this one would be a perfect way to start a Christmas morning. Or the day after Christmas, for that matter! (And yes, I think I may have had my mouth washed out with soap once.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny thing: my mother -- a very gentle person -- always said she SHOULD wash my mouth out with soap when I talked back to her, but she never did it. Once she shoved a dirty dish rag in my mouth. It must not have taught me anything because I have no memory of what terrible thought crime I expressed to make her do it.

    I don't know if the eggs would remove a soap wash but they do look quite good.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat dish! Really fun twist on traditional fried eggs. Thanks. And Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'e accidentally tasted liquid soap once and it was awful! Nothing like these amazing sounding eggs :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great, simple way to dress up fried eggs. We are a rather sweary family, but there’s no soap mouth washes here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic Christmas breakfast! Thank you for the recipe, and a Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never tried this but it's such a good idea, I really need to!

    ReplyDelete