Wednesday 6 May 2020

Preserved Chilli - Preserving the Crop

We have had an abundance of Italian chillies, red, long and moderately hot.  These chilli bushes are producing for their second year and have been so prolific.  Even throughout the drought we managed to give them enough water to survive and flourish.

Gardening is always a pleasant hobby for hubby and myself .  Mind you he is so much faster with planting out seedlings or weeding and he does everything properly whereas I kind of pull at the weeds half heartedly and plant in the ground without preparing the bed properly. 

At the end of the day we both yield great results with what we plant and produce.

Likewise when we go shopping together, I will probably still be in the first aisle talking to a friend when he's already done the rounds of the supermarket, getting everything plus more than that was written on the shopping list.  I am still talking in the first aisle but now to another friend.

I think that one truly efficient person is all you need in a relationship ...

We all have different strengths and abilities.


I like to cook, and preserve.


These are preserved, fermented chillies 
which last for 12 months in the cupboard.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Preserved Chilli


500g fresh whole chillies, chopped into halves.  Removing seeds is optional.
10 garlic cloves, peeled

Place into blender or food processor and pulse a few times, you want chunky pieces, not a puree.

Add 1 tablespoon salt 
250ml olive oil.

Blend lightly until combined at a low speed.
Pour into cooled sterilised jars and label.
Make sure the chilli is below the level of oil to preserve them.

Add a spoon to your completed dishes, or on top of fried eggs. Mix with yoghurt for a dipping sauce.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Are you an avid gardener?  What are your best strength and weaknesses?

Buon appetito, enjoy Merryn xx

5 comments:

  1. Lucky you having all of these chillies. I have to buy them every few weeks but they're an absolutely necessary shopping item.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chillies! Used to consume a lot, but my stomach fought against it, so now I have to refrain myself from eating too much at one set. Lucky you having all those homegrown chillies!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, those look good. Never met a chilli I didn't like! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Merryn, what a great idea of store all the chillies...absolutely love it...thanks for the post, and enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. enjoy the abundance! I never prepare my beds and should go and take a peek to see how they have fared this past month :)

    ReplyDelete