Wednesday 29 January 2014

Crab Fried Rice

Crab Fried Rice - My Unique Recipe


I have amazing days at work.  They can be incredibly hectic, talking to so many people, 
or quiet, gentle days when I can sit, read and reflect on things.
I prefer the busy days as they fly by and it is 4.30pm before you know it.
I pop into the supermarket on the way home to purchase the nights' dinner ingredients 
which ensures you always run into one or two friends which can be so entertaining.


This evening I bumped baskets with a very creative friend of mine.
This energetic friend throws everything in with anything to create a meal.
There were tins of crab for about $2 each where we were standing
so I bought a few, envisioning sang choy bau or crab + lettuce sandwiches.
Ms Creative said that she threw crab in with left over rice and vegetables.
I thought why not, but I would rather fry it.


Meanwhile Ms Creative and I walked together and were passing the fresh vegetable section when we
saw a man eating grapes.  Not just one, but he had a whole big bunch in his hand
and was standing there devouring it!  Seriously, I tried so hard not to look at him;
he was definitely not a local person - you just can't do that.
I did however leave the supermarket with a big smile on my face.


So a quick google search later revealed a few crab fried rice recipes,
which I glanced at before deciding to cook it my way.
This is what I came up with and cooked for lunch the next day - it was delicious!



Crab Fried Rice

2 cups cold cooked rice
150g cooked crab
1 egg
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon curry powder 
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon fish sauce
white pepper and salt
vegetable oil
coriander leaves and a slice of lime for garnish

Heat up your wok, add oil and stir fry onion 2 minutes, add garlic and cook 1 more minute.
Toss in the rice and curry powder, cook 1 minute, add flaked crab and cook 1 more minute.
Move to the side and add the egg, slightly frying before folding through the rice mixture.
Add the soy and fish sauces, season with white pepper, taste before adding salt.
Slide onto a serving plate, garnish with coriander leaves and a slice of lime on the side.

Serves 1

Buon appetitio!  Enjoy, Merryn

No comments:

Post a Comment